[Python-Dev] Curious comment in some old libraries

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:19:25 -0500

[Eric S. Raymond]
> But in the process I found a curious contradiction:
>
> stringold.py:# NB: split(s) is NOT the same as splitfields(s, ' ')!
> stringold.py:    (split and splitfields are synonymous)
> stringold.py:splitfields = split
> string.py:# NB: split(s) is NOT the same as splitfields(s, ' ')!
> string.py:    (split and splitfields are synonymous)
> string.py:splitfields = split
>
> It certainly looks to me as though the "NB" comment is out of date.
> Is there some subtle and wicked reason it has not been removed?

It's 100% accurate, but 99% misleading.  Plain 100% accurate would be:

# NB: split(s) is NOT the same as split(s, ' ').
# And, by the way, since split is the same as splitfields,
# it follows that
#     split(s) is NOT the same as splitfields(s, ' ').
# either.

Even better is to get rid of the NB comments, so I just did that.  Thanks
for pointing it out!