[Python-Dev] Removing the implicit str() call from printing API

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:22:30 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > mal wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to go ahead and check in patch which passes through
> > > Unicode objects to the file-object's .write() method while leaving
> > > the standard str() call for all other objects in place.
> >
> > +0 for Python 2.1
> > +1 for Python 2.2
>
> I have not had the time to review any of the arguments for this, and I
> would be very disappointed if this happened without my involvement.

Ok, I'll postpone this for 2.2 then... don't want to disappoint
our BDFL ;-)

Perhaps we should rethink the whole complicated printing machinery
in Python for 2.2 and come up with a more generic solution to the
problem of letting to-be-printed objects pass through to the
stream objects ?!

Note that this is needed in order to be able to redirect sys.stdout
to a codec which then converts Unicode to some external encoding.
Currently this is not possible due to the implicit str() call in
PyObject_Print().

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg