[Python-Dev] Python 2.1 release schedule

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:39:47 -0500

> I updated the Python 2.1 release schedule (PEP 226):
>     http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0226.html

Thanks, Jeremy!

> The schedule now has some realistic future release dates.  The plan is
> to move to beta 1 before the Python conference, probably issue a
> second beta in mid- to late-March, and aim for a final release
> sometime in April.  The six-week period between first beta and final
> release is about as long as the beta period for 2.0, which had many
> more significant changes.

Feels good to me.

> I have also added a section on open issues as we had in the 2.0
> release schedule.  If you are responsible for any major changes or
> fixes before the first beta, please add them to that section or send
> me mail about them.  Remember that we are in feature freeze; only bug
> fixes between now and beta 1.

Here are a few issues that I wrote down recently.  I'm a bit out of
touch so some of these may already have been resolved...

- New schema for .pyc magic number?  (Eric, Tim)

- Call to C function without keyword args should pass NULL, not {}.
  (Jeremy)

- Reduce the errors for "from ... import *" to only those cases where
  it's a real problem for nested functions.  (Jeremy)

- Long ago, someone asked that 10**-15 should return a float rather
  than raise a ValueError.  I think this is an OK change, and unlikely
  to break code :-)  There may be a few other special cases like
  this, and of course ints and longs should act the same way.  (Tim?)