[Python-Dev] Propaganda of the deed and other topics

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:00:03 -0500

Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com>:
> In general, though, I must ask you to err on the careful side when the
> possibility of breaking existing code exists.

I try to.  You notice I haven't committed any changes to the interpreter
core.  This is a good example of what I mean by picking my shots
carefully...

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as
the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral
check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally,
even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist
and triumph over them."
        -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court