[Python-Dev] Adding pymalloc to 2.1b1 ?! (python-dev summary, 2001-02-01 - 2001-02-15)

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:28:03 -0500

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> >
> >  The use
> >  of Vladimir Marangoz's obmalloc patch in some of the benchmarks
> >  sparked a discussion about whether this patch should be incorporated
> >  into Python 2.1.  There was support from many for adding it on an
> >  opt-in basis, since when nothing has happened...
>
> ... I'm still waiting on BDFL pronouncement on this one. The plan
> was to check it in for beta1 on an opt-in basis (Vladimir has written
> the patch this way).
>
> --
> Marc-Andre Lemburg

If it is truly opt-in (supposedly a configure option?), I'm all for
it.  I recall vaguely though that Jeremy or Tim thought that the patch
touches lots of code even when one doesn't opt in.  That was a no-no
so close before the a2 release.  Anybody who actually looked at the
code got an opinion on that now?  The b1 release is planned for March
1st, or exactly two weeks!