[Python-Dev] Unit testing (again)

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:59:42 -0500

[Moshe Zadka]
> We had a DevDay, we have a sig, we have a PEP. None of this
> seems to help --

[Ka-Ping Yee]
> What are you talking about?  There is an implementation and it works.

There are many implementations "that work".  But we haven't picked one.
What's the standard markup for Python docstrings?  There isn't!  That's what
he's talking about.

This is especially bizarre because it's been clear for *years* that some
variant of structured text would win in the end, but nobody playing the game
likes all the details of anyone else's set of (IMO, all overly elaborate)
conventions, so the situation for users is no better now than it was the day
docstrings were added.

Tibs's latest (and ongoing) attempt to reach a consensus can be found here:

    http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/docutils/STpy.html

The status of its implementation here:

    http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/docutils/status.html

Not close yet.  In the meantime, Perlers have been "suffering" with a POD
spec about 3% the size of the proposed Python spec; I guess their only
consolation is that POD docs have been in universal use for years <wink>.

while-ours-is-that-we'll-get-to-specify-non-breaking-spaces-someday-
    despite-that-not-1-doc-in-100-needs-them-ly y'rs  - tim