Python 2.0 in Debian (was: Re: [Python-Dev] PEPS, version control, release intervals)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:37:52 +0100

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 08:34:37PM +0200, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:14:17 +0100, Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net> wrote:

> > So... if you link glibc with files compiled by a NON-GNU compiler, the
> > resulting binary *has to be* glibc [I meant GPL] ? That's, well, fucked,
> > if you pardon my french. But it's not my code, so all I can do is sigh
> > <wink wink, Moshe > ;-P

> Thomas, glibc is not currently supported on any non-GNU systems (and for the
> sake of this discussion, NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD are GNU systems too, since
> the only compiler that works there is gcc)

> More, glibc uses so many gcc extensions that you probably will have a hard
> time getting it to compile with any other compiler.

That depends. Is a fork of gcc, sprouting all the features of gcc, a GNU
compiler ? We're not talking technicalities here, we're talking legalities.
"What's in a name" is no longer a rhetorical question in that context :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>