[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:52:48 -0600 (CST)

    Jeremy> That makes a total of 4 fixes in almost 200,000 lines of code.
    Jeremy> These fixes should be pretty easy.

Jeremy,

Pardon my bluntness, but I think you're missing the point.  The fact that it
would be easy to make these changes for version N+1 of package XYZ ignores
the fact that users of XYZ version N may want to upgrade to Python 2.1 for
whatever reason, but can't easily upgrade to XYZ version N+1.  Maybe they
need to pay an upgrade fee.  Maybe they include XYZ in another product and
can't afford to run too far ahead of their clients.  Maybe XYZ is available
to them only as bytecode.  Maybe there's just too darn much code to pore
through and retest.  Maybe ...

I've rarely found it difficult to fix compatibility problems in isolation.
It's the surrounding context that gets you.

Skip