[Python-Dev] Backwards Incompatibility

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:48:28 -0800

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I don't recall seeing any substanital discussion of this PEP on
> python-dev or python-list, nor do I recall a BDFL decision on the
> PEP.  There has been lots of discussion about backwards compatibility,
> but not much consensus.

We can have the discussion now, then. In my opinion it is irresponsible
to knowingly unleash backwards incompatibilities on the world with no
warning. If people think Python is unstable it will negatively impact
its growth much more than the delay of some esoteric features. Let me
put the ball back in your court:

Is the benefit provided by having nested scopes this year rather than
next year worth the pain of howls of outrage in Python-land. If we give
people a year to upgrade (with warning messages) they will (rightly)
grumble but not scream.

--
Vote for Your Favorite Python & Perl Programming
Accomplishments in the first Active Awards!