[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:13:46 -0600 (CST)

    Jeremy> The question, then, is whether some amount of incompatible
    Jeremy> change is acceptable in the 2.1 release.

I think of 2.1 as a minor release.  Minor releases generally equate in my
mind with bug fixes, not significant functionality changes or potential
compatibility problems.  I think many other people feel the same way.

Earlier this month I suggested that adopting a release numbering scheme
similar to that used for the Linux kernel would be appropriate.  Perhaps
it's not so much the details of the numbering as the up-front statement of
something like, "version numbers like x.y where y is even represent stable
releases" or, "backwards incompatibility will only be introduced when the
major version number is incremented".  It's more that there is a statement
about stability vs new features that serves as a published committment the
user community can rely on.  After all the changes that made it into 2.0, I
don't think anyone to have to address compatibility problems with 2.1.

Skip