[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@effbot.org
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:38:45 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > and I think that is also ok to honestely be worried about what user
> > will feel about this? (and we can only think about this beacuse
> > the feedback is not that much)
>
> FUD.
>
> > Will this code breakage "scare" them and slow down migration to new versions
> > of python? They are already afraid of going 2.0(?). It is maybe just PR matter
> > but ...
>
> More FUD.

but FUD is what we have to deal with on the market.

I know from my 2.0 experiences that lots of people are concerned
about even small changes (more ways to do it isn't always what
a large organization wants).  Pointing out that "hey, it's a major
release" or "you can ignore the new features, and pretend it's
just a better 1.5.2" helps a little bit, but the scepticism is still
there.

And here we have something that breaks code, breaks tools,
breaks training material, and breaks books.

"Everything you know about Python scoping is wrong. Get over it".

The more I think about it, the less I think it belongs in any version
before 3.0.

Cheers /F