[Python-Dev] Those import related syntax errors again...

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:46:03 -0500

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 08:51:03AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > Hey, here's an idea.  We could add the warning API to 2.0.1 (it's
> > backwards compatible AFAIK), and you can release PY201 with warnings
> > added for things that your customers will need to change before they
> > switch to PY21.
>
> Definately +1 on that.

Hold on.  Jeremy has an announcement to make.  But he's probably still
struggling home -- about 3-4 inches of snow (so far) were dumped on
the DC area this afternoon.

> While on the subject: will all of 'from module import *' be deprecated, even
> at module level ?

No, not at the module level.  (There it is only frowned upon. :-)

> How should code like Mailman's mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py
> construct be rewritten to provide similar functionality ? Much as I dislike
> 'from module import *', it really does have its uses.

I have no idea what mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py is, but yes, import * has
its uses!