[Python-Dev] RE: Nested scopes resolution -- you can breathe

Mikael Olofsson mikael@isy.liu.se
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:21:06 +0100 (MET)

On 23-Feb-05 Fredrik Lundh wrote:
 >  Mikael Olofsson wrote:
 > > from __future__ import *
 > =20
 >  I wouldn't do that: it imports both "warnings_are_errors" and
 >  "from_import_star_is_evil", and we've found that it's impossible
 >  to catch ParadoxErrors in a platform independent way.

Naturally. More seriously though, I like=20

    from __future__ import something

as an idiom. It gives us a clear reusable syntax to incorporate new=20
features before they are included in the standard distribution. It is
not obvious to me that the proposed alternative

    import __something__

is a way to incorporate something new.

Perhaps Py3k should allow

    from __past__ import something

to give us a way to keep some functionality from 2.* that has been=20
(will be) changed in Py3k.

explicit-is-better-than-implicit-ly y'rs

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael@isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael              =20
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343