[Python-Dev] More std test breakage

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:21:11 -0500

> New failure in test___all__.py, *possibly* specific to Windows, but I don't
> see any "termios.py" anywhere so hard to believe it could be working anywhere
> else either:
>
> C:\Code\python\dist\src\PCbuild>python ../lib/test/test___all__.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "../lib/test/test___all__.py", line 78, in ?
>     check_all("getpass")
>   File "../lib/test/test___all__.py", line 10, in check_all
>     exec "import %s" % modname in names
>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
>   File "c:\code\python\dist\src\lib\getpass.py", line 106, in ?
>     import termios
> NameError: Case mismatch for module name termios
> (filename c:\code\python\dist\src\lib\TERMIOS.py)
>
> C:\Code\python\dist\src\PCbuild>

Easy.  There used to be a built-in termios on Unix only, and 12
different platform-specific copies of TERMIOS.py, on Unix only.  We're
phasing TERMIOS.py out, mocing all the symbols into termios, and as
part of that we chose to remove all the platform-dependent TERMIOS.py
files with a single one, in Lib, that imports the symbols from
termios, for b/w compatibility.

But the code that tries to see if termios exists only catches
ImportError, not NameError.

You can add NameError to the except clause in getpass.py, or you can
proceed with your fix to the case-sensitive imports. :-)