[Python-Dev] Re: Case-sensitive import

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:32:16 -0500

Tim,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:27:12PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> Jason, I *assume* that the existing "#if defined(MS_WIN32) ||
> defined(__CYGWIN__)" version of check_case works already for you.  Scream if
> that's wrong.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "works."  When I submitted my
patch to enable case-sensitive imports for Cygwin, I mistakenly thought
that I was solving import problems such as "import TERMIOS, termios".
Unfortunately, I was only enabling the (old) Win32 "Case mismatch for
module name foo" code for Cygwin too.

Subsequently, there have been changes to Cygwin gcc that may make it
difficult (i.e., require non-standard -I options) to find Win32 header
files like "windows.h".  So from an ease of building point of view, it
would be better to stick with POSIX calls and avoid direct Win32 ones.
Unfortunately, from an efficiency point of view, it sounds like this is
unavoidable.

I would like to test your patch with both Cygwin gcc 2.95.2-6 (i.e.,
Win32 friendly) and 2.95.2-7 (i.e., Unix bigot).  Please let me know
when it's ready.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235