[Python-Dev] FAQ Horribly Out Of Date

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 16:00:36 -0500

[Andrew Kuchling]
> Why multiply the number of mechanisms required to maintain things?
> We already use CVS for other documentation; why not use it for the
> FAQ as well?

The search facilities of the FAQ wizard are invaluable, and so is the
ability for "just users" to update the info from within their browsers.
There are two problems with the FAQ in practice:

1. It doesn't get updated enough.  We can't fix that by making it harder to
update!

2. It's *only* available via the web interface.  We should ship a text or
HTML snapshot with releases; perhaps even do the usual Usenet periodic
FAQ-posting thing.