[Python-Dev] xreadlines : readlines :: xrange : range

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:27:54 +0100

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 01:13:16AM +0100, Martin von Loewis wrote:

> Of the BSDs, only OpenBSD appears to support it; it knows that it is
> in ANSI 1003.1 since 1996-07-12.

BSDI supports getc_unlocked() at least since BSDI 3.1. I don't have any
older boxes to check, but the manpage for getc and all its friends carries
the timestamp 'June 4, 1993', which implies it could have been available a
lot longer. (Note that BSD was once known to *define* the standard ;-)

I concur that FreeBSD does not currently support getc_unlocked, but since
BSDI and FreeBSD are merging, I suspect it will, soonish.

In other words: use it! :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>