[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Include classobject.h,2.33,2.34

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:06:53 -0500

> > - extern DL_IMPORT(PyObject *) PyInstance_DoBinOp(PyObject *, PyObject *,
> > -                                                 char *, char *,
> > -                                                 PyObject * (*)(PyObject *,
> > -                                                                PyObject *));
> > -
> > - extern DL_IMPORT(int)
> > - PyInstance_HalfBinOp(PyObject *, PyObject *, char *, PyObject **,
> > -                       PyObject * (*)(PyObject *, PyObject *), int);
>
> Wouldn't it be safer to provide emulation APIs for these ? There
> might be code out there using these APIs.

No.  These were never intended to be part of the API (and it was a
mistake that they used DL_IMPORT()).  They had to be extern because
they were defined in one file and used in another.  I'm glad they're
gone.  They are so obscure that I'd be *very* surprised if anybody was
using them, and even more if they even *wanted* emulation under the
new scheme -- I'd expect them to eagerly convert their code to using
new-style numbers right away.