[Python-Dev] xreadlines : readlines :: xrange : range

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:31:39 +0100

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 10:27:28AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> [Me & Thomas in violent agreement that there's something weird about
> the speed of getc_unlocked() vs. getc() on FreeBSD.]

> I just realized what's the probable cause.  Read your timing post
> again:

> Standard CVS Python, as opposed to Python 2.0 as released, uses GNU
> getline()!

Sorry, no go. You need two things to use getline(): getline() itself, and a
GNU libc. FreeBSD has neither. (And autoconf agrees with me.) If you *really
really* want me to, I can compile 2.0-standard on FreeBSD and show you. But
I'd rather not :)

Now go back and read my other mail about why FreeBSD is faster :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>