[Python-Dev] autoconfigure patch submitted on SourceForge

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 01:49:45 -0500

Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 11:16:53PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Setting things up so curses is autoconfigured into the default build
> > if your system has it in the expected places turned out to be dead
> > easy.  Some clever person (the BDFL himself?) wrote the build process
> > so that there is *already* a Setup.config.in that gets configure
> > expansions done on it, with the generated Setup.config used when
> > makesetup does its magic.
>
> Skip, actually, IIRC. It was added in the last stages of 2.0 development, to
> auto-detect bsddb. However, I still think it should be a separate
> 'configure', in the Modules directory.

You may be right.  Still, this patch solves the immediate problem in a
reasonably clean way, and I urge that it should go in.  We can do a
more complete reorganization of the build process later.  (I'll help with
that; I'm pretty expert with autoconf and friends.)

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives
[only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise,
and independence to the mind.  Games played with the ball and others
of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on
the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your
walks."
        -- Thomas Jefferson, writing to his teenaged nephew.