[Python-Dev] xreadlines : readlines :: xrange : range

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 08:51:26 -0800

Tim Peters wrote:

> Perl appears to ignore the issue of thread safety here (on Windows and
> everywhere else).

If you can create a sample program that demonstrates the unsafety I'll
anonymously submit it as a bug on our internal system and ensure that
the next version of Perl is as slow as Python. :)

Seriously: If someone comes at me with
Perl-IO-is-way-faster-than-Python-IO, I'd like to know what concretely
they've given up in order to achieve that performance. And even just
for my own interest I'd like to understand the cost/benefit of
stream thread safety. For instance would it make sense to just write
a thread-safe wrapper for streams used from multiple threads?

 Paul Prescod