[Python-Dev] autoconfigure patch submitted on SourceForge

Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:57:58 -0500

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:45:57PM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:
>every known platform that can run configure ? :) I still think there are
>more than enough platforms without Python to warrant using autoconf for
>configuring modules. The module list and their demands are stable enough to
>make maintenance a fair breeze, IMHO.

Umm... the proposed PEP 229 patch would compile a Python binary with
sre, posix, and strop statically linked; this minimal Python is then
used to run the setup.py script.  You shouldn't require a preinstalled
Python, though the current version of the patch doesn't meet this
requirement yet.

--amk