[Python-Dev] autoconfigure patch submitted on SourceForge

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:00:24 -0500

[me]
> >I expect Andrew's code to go in before 2.1 is released.  So I don't
> >see a reason why we should hurry and check in a stop-gap measure.

[Andrew]
> But it might not; the final version might be unacceptable or run into
> some intractable problem.  Assuming the patch is correct (I haven't
> looked at it), why not check it in?  The work has already been done to
> write it, after all.

OK, done.

It was more work than I had hoped for, because Eric apparently
(despite having developer privileges!) doesn't use the CVS tree -- he
sent in a diff relative to the 2.0 release.  I munged it into place,
adding the feature that readline, _curses and bsdddb are built as
shared libraries by default.  You'd have to edit Setup.config.in to
change this.  Hope this doesn't break anybody's setup.  (Skip???)

Question for Eric: do you still want developer privileges?  They come
with responsibilities too.  Please check out the @#$%& CVS tree! :-)