[Python-Dev] Regarding Patch #103222: mv Python to PyCore

Dan Wolfe dkwolfe@pacbell.net
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 10:48:21 -0800

Howdy Folks,

I need some help here. I'd like to see Python build out of the box with a
./configure, make, make test, and make install on Darwin and Mac OS X.
Having it build out of the box will make it easier to be incorporated
into both Darwin and the base Mac OS X distribution - although not for
the initial release of the latter but definitely doable for subsequent
releases. In order to do this, I need to have it build cleanly on HFS and
UFS filesystems.

Under HFS system, I've got a name conflict due to case insenstivity
between the build target and the "Python" directory that forces me to
build with a -with-suffix command on HFS and manually change the name
after install - which is an automatic knockout factor when it comes to
incorporating it in an automatic build system. Not to mention a problem
with unix newbies trying to build from source...

Last night, I did some quick investigation to determine the best way to
fix this problem as documented in PEP-42 in the build section and
Sourceforge bug 122215 and determined that the easiest and least error
prone way was to change the directory name Python to PyCore.

It's apparent from the comments that I'm missing something here as the
reaction has been negative so far - to the point where Guido has rejected
the patch. Can someone explain what I'd missing that's causing such
strong feelings?

My second question is how do I resolve the name conflict in an approved
way?  It's been suggested that a build directory be created (/src/build
?) and that the target be place here. The problem that I had with this
suggestion is that it would require an additional layer to execute the
target and I wasn't sure what impact it whould have on running python
from a new directory... which is the reason I took the more known path.
:-)

Bottom line, come March 24th, Mac OS X 1.0 will be released and as of
July 2001 all Macintoshes  will come with Mac OS X.  I'd like to see
Python be easily built on "out of the box" these machines - rather come
with a haphazardous list of instructions or commands as currently needed
for 1.5.2 and 2.0 releases. And hopefully, at some point be incorporated
into the base Mac OS X installation...

- Dan Wolfe