[Python-Dev] Why is soundex marked obsolete?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:59:28 -0500

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
> [Tim]
> > Actually, I'm certain they're the same algorithm now, except the C is
> > showing through in ratcliff to the floating-point eye <wink>.
>
> [Eric]
> > Take a look:
>
> Yup, same thing, except:
>
> > static float ratcliff(char *s1, char *s2)
>
> accounts for the numeric differences (change "float"->"double" and they'd be
> the same; Python has to convert it to a double anyway, lacking any internal
> support for C's floats; and the C code is *computing* in double regardless,
> cutting it back to a float upon return just because of the "float" decl).

OK, so the right answer is to make your version visible and documented
in the library.

No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound
to enforce it.
	-- 16 Am. Jur. Sec. 177 late 2d, Sec 256