[Python-Dev] Re: pydoc.py (show docs both inside and outside of Python)

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:14:34 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Ka-Ping Yee writes:
>  > My next two targets are:
>  >     1.  Generating text from the HTML documentation files
>  >         using Paul Prescod's stuff in onlinehelp.py.
>
> You mean the ones I publish as the standard documentation?  Relying
> on the structure of that HTML is pure folly!

Paul's onlinehelp.py is using the HTMLParser and AbstractFormatter
to turn HTML into text.  It also contains paths to specific files,
e.g. help('assert') looks for "ref/assert.html".  Are you okay with
this technique?  Have you tried onlinehelp.py?  I was planning to
do the same to provide help on the language in pydoc.

-- ?!ng