[Python-Dev] pydoc - put it in the core

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:48:49 +0100

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Guido> Now, if we could somehow get this to show both the docs that Fred
>     Guido> maintains and the stuff that Ping extracts from the source code,
>     Guido> that would be even better!
>
> I had exactly the same thought.  I suspect that if the install target were
> modified to install the html-ized sections of the lib reference manual pydoc
> could grovel around in sys and find the root of the library reference manual
> pretty easily.  If not, it could simply redirect to the relevant section of
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/.

Since Fred remarked that the URLs for the different docs are
not fixed, how about adding a __onlinedocs__ attribute to the
standard Python modules providing the correct URL ?

Or, alternatively, pass the module's name through some Google
like "I feel lucky" documentation search engine...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg