[Python-Dev] Someone should be shot

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:27:02 -0500

    MZ> I'm sorry! I meant to reply to tim alone, and ended up
    MZ> spamming python-dev!  Of course, the real culprit is the
    MZ> person who fixed up the reply-to in the checkin messages to
    MZ> point to python-dev. Why was it done, and isn't there a better
    MZ> way? This makes it painful to personally comment on people's
    MZ> checkin messages. I suggest instead to add a mail-followup-to
    MZ> header

    MZ> (Didn't anyone read "Reply-To Munging Considered Harmful"?)

Or how about

    http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

for a dissenting view.  Of course Mail-Followup-To is completely
non-standard, but even if it were, having the mailing list munge it in
isn't recommended:

    http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html

Bottom line (IMHO), this is just something about email that is and
will forever remain broken.  Given that, it was voted a long while
back to make Reply-To for checkins point to python-dev so until
there's a hue and cry to change it back, I'll leave it as is.  And
yeah, it bites me sometimes too!

-Barry