[Python-Dev] RE: [Doc-SIG] pydoc.py (show docs both inside and outside of Python)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:47:01 -0000

In the context of my starting doc strings in an Emacs Lisp manner,
Ka-Ping Yee said:
> I think i'm going to ask you to stop, unless Guido prefers
> otherwise.  Guido, do you have a style pronouncement for module
> docstrings?

and since Guido replied
> I'm with Ping.  None of the examples in the style guide start the
> docstring with the function name.  Almost none of the standard library
> modules start their module docstring with the module name (codecs is
> an exception, but I didn't write it :-).

I shall indeed stop (of course, my habit started before we HAD
documentation tools, and if we're going to browse things with pydoc, et
al, then there's no need for it. To be honest, it's the answer I
expected.

Oh dear, another item for my TO DO list (i.e., remove the offending
nits). Still, if it's only me it's hardly high impact!

Tibs
Which is safer, driving or cycling?
Cycling - it's harder to kill people with a bike...