[Python-Dev] new Makefile.in

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:37:04 +0100

> A question: is it possible to break the Python static library up?
> For example, instead of having libpython<version>.a have
> Parser/parser<version>.a, Objects/objects<version>.a, etc?

Please, no. It was that way in Python 1.4 (libModules, libObjects, and
I forgot which the others were :-). We had that all documented in our
book, then Guido tried to build an extension module for the first
time, saw that these many libraries were terrible, and combined them
into a single one. That was a good thing, and we have it documented in
our book. I'm not at all looking forward to answering all the
questions why the build infrastructure of Python changed yet again...

Regards,
Martin