[Python-Dev] MS CRT crashing:

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:56:58 -0500

Bill Tutt writes:
> From the internal support squad:
> Turns out the C standard explicitly says you can't have an input follow
> output on a stream without doing fflush or fseek in-between, to make sure
> the stdio buffer is cleared.  So this program is illegal.
>
> They've gone and resolved it by design.

I'd just like to note for the record that this is exactly what I had
predicted.

I'd also like to note that I *agree*.  Tim seems to think there's a
race condition in the threading code, but it's really much simpler
than that: the same bug can easily be provoked with a single-threaded
program: just randomly read and write alternatingly.  So obviously the
people who wrote the threading code aren't interested in the bug,
because it's not in their code -- and the people who wrote the code
that doesn't behave well when abused are protected by the C standard...