[Python-Dev] Stupid Python Tricks, Volume 38 Number 1

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:43:49 -0500

> I had a huge string and wanted to put a double-quote on each end.  The
> boring:
>
>     '"' + huge + '"'
>
> does the job, but is inefficent <snort>.  Then this transparent variation
> sprang unbidden from my hoary brow:
>
>     huge.join('""')

Points off for obscurity though!  My favorite for this is:

    '"%s"' % huge

Worth a microbenchmark?

> *That* should put to rest the argument over whether .join() is more properly
> a method of the separator or the sequence -- '""'.join(huge) instead would
> look plain silly <wink>.
>
> not-entirely-sure-i'm-channeling-on-this-one-ly y'rs  - tim

Give up the channeling for a while -- there's too much interference in
the air from the Microsoft threaded stdio debate still. :-)