[Python-Dev] test_sax and site-python

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:41:08 -0500

[Jack Jansen]
> I'm not sure whether this is really a bug, but I had the problem
> that there  was something wrong with the xml package I had
> installed into my Lib/site-python, and this caused test_sax to
> complain.
>
> If the test stuff is expected to test only the core functionality
> maybe sys.path should be edited so that it only contains directories
> that are part of the core distribution?

AFAIK, xml *is* considered part of the core now, and has been since 2.0 was
released.  The wisdom of that decision is debatable with hindsight, but
AFAICT xml is in the same boat as, say, zlib now:  not builtin, and requires
3rd-party code to work, but part of the core all the same.  The Windows
installer comes w/ the necessary xml (and zlib) pieces, and I suppose the
Mac Python package also should.