[Python-Dev] Keyword arg dictionary without keyword arguments

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:54:53 -0500 (EST)

  [Jeremy wrote:]
  >> Does your query ("Do you really need the NULL?") mean that you
  >> don't care whether the argument is NULL or an empty dictionary?
  >> I could change the code to do either for 2.1a2, if you have a
  >> preference.

  GvR> Robust code IMO should treat NULL and {} the same.  But since
  GvR> traditionally we passed NULL, it's better to pass NULL rather
  GvR> than {}.  I believe that's the status quo now, right?

The current status in CVS is to pass {}, because there appeared to be
some case where a PyCFunction was not expecting NULL.  I assumed,
without checking, that {} was required and change the implementation
to always pass a dictionary to METH_KEYWORDS functions.  I could
change it back to NULL and see if I can reproduce the error I was
seeing.

Jeremy