[Python-Dev] 2.1a1 release tonight -- but no nested scopes or weak refs

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:15:11 -0500

We've decided to release 2.1a1 without further ado, but without two
big hopeful patches: Jeremy's nested scopes aren't finished and will
take considerably more time, and Fred's weak references need more
review (I haven't had the time to look at the code).  Rather than wait
longer, I've decided to try and release 2.1a1 tonight -- there's
nothing I'm waiting for now before I can cut a tarball.  There will be
an alpha2 release around February 1.

Please don't make any check-ins until I announce the 2.1a1 release
here.  (PythonLabs: please mail or phone me if you need to check in a
last-minute thing -- I'm tagging the tree now.)

More news as it happens,