[Python-Dev] re: I think my set module is ready for prime time

Greg Wilson gvwilson@nevex.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:47:33 -0500 (EST)

> > Guido van Rossum:
> > There's already a PEP on a set object type, and everybody and their
> > aunt has already implemented a set datatype.

> Eric Raymond:
> Greg's proposal has a couple of problems.
> The biggest one is that the interface design isn't very Pythonic --
> ...doesn't exploit the extent to which sets
> naturally have common semantics with existing Python sequence types.
> This is bad; it means that a lot of code that could otherwise ignore
> the difference between lists and sets would have to be specialized
> one way or the other for no good reason.

I agree with Eric's point; I put the interface design on hold while I
went off to try to find an efficient implementation capable of
handling mutable values (i.e. one that would allow things like sets of
sets).  I'm still looking :-(, but would appreciate comments from this
list on Eric's interface.

Thanks,
Greg