[Python-Dev] webbrowser.py

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:22:26 -0500

Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com>:
> Can you point me to docs explaining the meaning of the BROWSER
> environment variable?  I've never heard of it...  The last new
> environment variables I learned were PAGER and EDITOR, probably 15
> years ago when 4.1BSD was released... :-)

You've never heard of BROWSER because I invented it and have not
widely popularized it yet :-).  Ping knew about it either because he
read the module code and saw that it was supposed to work, or because
he remembered the design discussion when webbrowser.py was first
implemented.

I've had conversations with some key Perl and Tcl people (Larry Wall,
Tom Christiansen, Clif Flynt) about the BROWSER convention, and they
agree it's a good idea.  I'll probably hack support for it into Perl's
browser launcher next.

It's documented in the version of libwebbrowser.tex now in the CVS tree.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will.
Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact
amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will
continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they
oppress.
	-- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857