[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Objects object.c,2.114,2.115

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:44:31 -0500

    GvR> Barry, since these are only gdb helpers, would it perhaps be
    GvR> better if their names started with "_Py" to indicate that
    GvR> they aren't part of the regular API?  They violate an
    GvR> important rule: you shouldn't write to stderr directly, but
    GvR> always to sys.stderr.  (There's a helper routines to write to
    GvR> stderr: PySys_WriteStderr().)  I understand that for the gdb
    GvR> helper it's important to use the real stderr, and I don't
    GvR> object to having these functions present at all times
    GvR> (they're so small), but I do think that we should make it
    GvR> clear (by a _Py name, and also by a comment) that they should
    GvR> not be called!

I thought about it, couldn't decide and figured I'd check it in
anyway, knowing that you'd let me know.  See how wise I was?  :)

I will rename them as _Py* and fix the gdbinit file accordingly.  One
note: these functions /ought/ to be useful for dbx or any other
command line debugger.  I just haven't used anything but gdb for
years.  If anybody's got a dbxinit equivalent I could add that to Misc
too.

nothing-an-adjacent-office-wouldn't-have-solved-much-more-quick-ly y'rs,
-Barry