OT: contribution rewards (was Re: [Python-Dev] Re: Sets: elt in dict, lst.include)

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:02:59 -0500

Peter Funk <pf@artcom-gmbh.de>:
> What about offering another immaterial reward to potential contributors
> instead?  What about "fame points"?  Anybody contributing something
> useful to Python receives a certain number of "fame points":  These
> fame points will be added and placed in front of the name of
> the contributor into the ACKS file and the file will be sorted
> accordingly turning the ACKS file effectively into some kind of
> "Python contribution high score" ...   ;-)
>
> Just kidding, Peter

You may be joking, but as an observer of how gift cultures work I say this
isn't a bad idea.

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes
without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an
offense to keep arms."
        -- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840