[Python-Dev] webbrowser.py

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:14:27 -0500

Guido van Rossum <guido@digicool.com>:
> Grumble.  That wasn't the kind of answer I expected.  I don't like it
> if Python is used as a wedge to get a particular thing introduced to
> the rest of the world, no matter how useful it may seem at the time.

Oh, stop!  I'm not using Python as an argument for other people to adopt
the BROWSER convention.  The idea sells itself quite nicely by analogy to
EDITOR and PAGER the second people hear it.

> Anyway, shouldn't you also talk to the developers of packages like KDE
> and Gnome?  Surely their users would like to be able to configure the
> default webbrowser.  Talking just to the scripting language people
> seems like you're thinking too small.  There must be lots of C apps
> with the desire to invoke a browser.  Also Emacs, which has an
> extensive list of browser-url-* functions (you might even learn a few
> tricks from it about how to invoke various external browsers) but
> AFAIK no default browser selection.

All on my TO-DO list.

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our
liberties. We hold this prudent jealousy to be the first duty of
citizens and one of the noblest characteristics of the late
Revolution. The freemen of America did not wait till usurped power had
strengthened itself by exercise and entangled the question in
precedents. They saw all the consequences in the principle, and they
avoided the consequences by denying the principle. We revere this
lesson too much ... to forget it
	-- James Madison.