[Python-Dev] jeremy@alum.mit.edu

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:42:39 +0100

> It would be great if the Makefile captured all the dependencies.

That would be great, yes. However, setup.py should probably also
consider dependencies.

> Could we just use makedepend?

Not sure. Certainly not in the build process. I dislike distributions
which, as the first thing, perform dependency generation. Dependencies
change less often than the actual source, so it is should be
sufficient to update them manually. Furthermore, generated files as
part of the CVS repository fail to work properly unless everybody uses
the exact same generator. For autoconf alone, that's a problem because
of multiple autoconf versions. I don't know how many different
makedepend versions are in use.

Regards,
Martin