[Python-Dev] Windows compile broken

Neil Schemenauer nas@arctrix.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:31:28 -0800

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 12:04:54AM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> What about that file ? Are you saying that Makefile.pre.in
> will no longer work in 2.1 ???

I'm talking about Objects/Makefile.in.  Which Makefile.pre.in are
you talking about?  Modules/Makefile.pre.in is dead too.  There
is a Makefile.pre.in in the toplevel directory which does the
same thing.  There is also Misc/Makefile.pre.in.  That file gets
installed into lib and still works as it aways did.  The toplevel
Makefile.pre.in can use Modules/Setup* just like the old
Modules/Makefile.pre.in could.  Does this address your concerns?

> Please don't remove that mechanism -- it has been in use for
> quite a while and is much more stable than distutils. We should
> at least wait a few more distutils releases for the dust to
> settle before removing the old fallback solution.

No doubt.

  Neil