[Python-Dev] Makefile.pre.in (Windows compile broken)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:32:14 +0100

Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 12:04:54AM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > What about that file ? Are you saying that Makefile.pre.in
> > will no longer work in 2.1 ???
>
> I'm talking about Objects/Makefile.in.  Which Makefile.pre.in are
> you talking about?  Modules/Makefile.pre.in is dead too.  There
> is a Makefile.pre.in in the toplevel directory which does the
> same thing.  There is also Misc/Makefile.pre.in.  That file gets
> installed into lib and still works as it aways did.  The toplevel
> Makefile.pre.in can use Modules/Setup* just like the old
> Modules/Makefile.pre.in could.  Does this address your concerns?

Yes. Thanks. I was talking about the Misc/Makefile.pre.in mechanism
which was used in the past by many Python C extensions to provide
a portable of compiling the extension into a shared module or
statically into the Python interpreter.

I have been using that mechanism for years now and with much
success. Even though I am currently moving to distutils I have
no idea how stable distutils is on exotic platforms or ones which
have special needs (like e.g. AIX).

> > Please don't remove that mechanism -- it has been in use for
> > quite a while and is much more stable than distutils. We should
> > at least wait a few more distutils releases for the dust to
> > settle before removing the old fallback solution.
>
> No doubt.

Ok.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg