[Python-Dev] problems building Python 2.1a1 on QNX 4.25

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:39:58 +0100

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 10:37:45AM +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> guido wrote:

> > > Revision 1.33 clearly leaves initial slashes untouched.
> > > I guess we should restore this...
> >
> > Yes, please!  (Just the "leading extra slashes stay" behavior.)

> just looked this up in the specs, and POSIX seem to
> require that leading slashes are preserved only if there
> are exactly two of them:

>     A pathname that begins with two successive slashes
>     may be interpreted in an implementation-dependent
>     manner, although more than two leading slashes are
>     treated as a single slash.
>     (from susv2)

> maybe we should add a if len(slashes) > 2: slashes = "/"
> test to the patch?

How strictly do we need (or want, for that matter) to follow POSIX here ?
I'm aware the module is called 'posixpath', but it's used in a bit more than
just POSIX environments (or POSIX behaviours) so it might make sense to
ignore this particular tidbit. What if there is a system that attaches a
special meaning to ///, should we create a new path module for it ?

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>