[Python-Dev] SSL socket read at EOF; SourceForge problem

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:56:09 -0500

I tried to open an SF bug for the following msg from c.l.py, but SF balked:

    ERROR
    ERROR getting bug_id

Logged out, logged in, tried it again, same outcome.

Intended bug report content:

Good question from c.l.py, assigned to Guido cuz he's a Socket Guy:

From: Clarence Gardner <clarence@netlojix.com>
Subject: RE: Thread Safety
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:51:03 -0800

I'm going to repeat a question that I posted about a week ago that passed
without comment on the newsgroup. The issue is the SSL support in the socket
module, which raises an exception when the reading socket is at EOF, rather
than returning an empty string. I'm hesitant to call it a "bug", but I
wouldn't have implemented it this way.  There are the names of two people
mentioned at the top of socketmodule.c, but no contact information, so I'm
suggesting here that it be changed to conform to normal file/socket
practice. (SSL was actually added at 2.0, so I'm late to the party with
this; mea culpa, mea culpa.  I delayed trying Python2 because of the
extension rebuilding.)