[Python-Dev] Re: Sets: elt in dict, lst.include

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:53:45 -0500

[Guido]
> This is all PEP material now.

Yup.

> Tim, do you want to own the PEP?

Not really.  Available time is finite, and this isn't at the top of the list
of things I'd like to see (resuming the discussion of generators +
coroutines + iteration protocol comes to mind first).

>> Cool!  Can we resist adding
>>
>>     if key:value in dict
>>
>> for "parallelism"?  (I know I can ...)

> That's easy to resist because, unlike ``for key:value in dict'', it's
> not unambiguous:

But

    if (key:value) in dict

is.  Just trying to help whoever *does* want the PEP <wink>.

> I'm certainly more comfortable with just ``for key in dict'' than with
> the whole slow of extensions using colons.

What about just the

    for key:value in dict
    for index:value in sequence

extensions?  The degenerate forms (omitting x or y or both in x:y) are
mechanical variations so are likely to get raised.

> But, again, that's for the PEP to fight over.

PEPs are easier if you Pronounce on things you hate early so that those can
get recorded in the "BDFL Pronouncements" section without further ado.

whatever-this-may-look-like-it's-not-a-pep-discussion<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim