[Python-Dev] Re: Sets: elt in dict, lst.include

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:58:32 +0100

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 07:28:44PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > What about just the

> >     for key:value in dict
> >     for index:value in sequence

> > extensions?

> I'm not against these -- I'd say +0.5.

What, fractions ? Isn't that against the whole idea of (+|-)(0|1) ? :)
But since we are voting, I'm -0 on this right now, and might end up -1 or
+0, depending on the implementation; I still can't *see* this, though I
wouldn't be myself if I hadn't tried to implement it anyway :) And I ran
into some fairly mind-boggling issues. The worst bit is 'how the f*ck
does FOR_LOOP know if something's a dict or a list'. And the
almost-as-bad bit is 'WTF to do for user classes, extension types and
almost-list/almost-dict practically-builtin types (arrays, the *dbm's,
etc.)'. After some sleep-deprived consideration I gave up and decided we
need an iteration/generator protocol first.

However, my life's been busy (or rather, my work has been) with all kinds
of small and not so small details, and I haven't been getting much sleep
in the last week or so, so I might be overlooking something very simple.
That's why I can go either way based on implementation -- it might prove
me wrong :) Until my boss is back and I stop being 'responsible' (end of
this week, start of next week) and I get a chance to get rid of about 2
months of work backlog (the time he was away) I won't have time to
champion or even contribute to such a PEP. Then again, by that time I
might be preparing for IPC9 (_if_ my boss sends me there) or even my
ApacheCon US presentation (which got accepted today, yay!)

So, if that other message was an attempt to drop the PEP on me, Guido,
the answer is the same as I tend to give to suits that show up next to my
desk wanting to discuss something important (to them) right away:
"b'gg'r 'ff" :)

I'll-save-my-answer-to-PR-officers-doing-the-same-for-when-you-do-something-
 -*really*-offensive-ly <wink> y'rs
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>