[Python-Dev] PEP 250, site-python, site-packages

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:53:34 +0200

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:38:00AM -0500, Jeff Epler wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 02:09:51PM +0200, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> > Due to Python's good tradition of compatibility, this is the vast
> > majority of packages; only packages with binary modules necessarily need
> > to be recompiled anyway for each major new <version>.

> Aren't there bytecode changes in 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1, compared to 1.5.2?  If
> so, this either means that each version of Python does need a separate copy
> (for the .pyc/.pyo file), or if all versions are compatible with 1.5.2
> bytecodes (and I don't know that they are) then all packages would need to
> be bytecompiled with 1.5.2.

None are compatible. This might change, but I don't think so -- I think the
CVS tree already has a different bytecode magic than 2.1, though I haven't
checked. Perhaps what Gregor wants is a set of symlinks in each python
version's site-packages directory, to a system-wide one, and a
'register-python-version' script like the emacs/xemacs stuff has that adds
those symlinks. That way, the .pyc/.pyo versions would remain in the
version-specific directory.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>