[Python-Dev] PEP 250, site-python, site-packages

Gregor Hoffleit gregor@hoffleit.de
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:28:09 +0200

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 03:16:08PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 03:05:35PM +0200, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
>
> > Seriously, does anybody (besides the Python developers) feel a need to
> > have multiple Python versions on the same system ?
>
> Well, currently anyone who wants to use python2.0+ does, yes. It's up to
> you, not me, whether that should be continued :-)

Well, that's certainly quite OT since Debian-specific, but the need for
an unofficial python2.0+ only arises due to the fact that a controlled
and concurrent upgrade of the various Python packages is really, really
awkward with the current setup. That's why I brought up this question in
the first place.

So let me paraphrase: Provided the maintainer of the Debian Python
package would do a good job and keep the package always up-to-date,
would you think there's a real world need for concurrent Python versions
on the same system ?

(Python developers still could use symlink farms to link the stuff from
/usr/lib/site-python into /usr/local/lib/python3.1/site-packages...)

    Gregor