[Python-Dev] PEP 250, site-python, site-packages

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:02:33 -0400 (EDT)

Gregor Hoffleit writes:
 > Seriously, does anybody (besides the Python developers) feel a need to
 > have multiple Python versions on the same system ?

  Absolutely!  Anyone that wants to write cross-version Python code
needs to be able to have multiple versions available.  I'd even like
to be able to have both Python 2.0 and Python 2.0.1 available on the
same $prefix/$exec_prefix -- that can't be done currently.  This kind
of thing is pretty important when you want to take cross-version
compatibility seriously.

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
 > Yes, definitely as both a Zope and Mailman developer <wink> I need
 > multiple Python versions.  But I suspect even normal users of the
 > system will need multiple versions.  Different Python-based apps are
 > requiring their users to upgrade Python on their own schedule, so
 > multiple versions will still be required.

  Another excellent reason to support multiple versions!  As more
widely distributed applications are written using Python and don't
want to include the interpreter, this becomes a more noticable issue.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations